On this project, my goal was to create a vintage drawing by using hatching, inking and water color. Nevertheless, it was a little difficult at first, but in the end it came out great. This project was also an experiment on how to use different mediums together. Besides, experiments are always helpful to create new techniques. My entire work rely on them! If you’re an artist, please do experiment! Even if the results are sometimes a total failure (trust me, I had a 1000 of those), don’t give up! The experience is precious and you will eventually create your own techniques!
Research and Inspiration:
While doing this piece, I was watching Porco Rosso for the 100 time! (Yes! I’m a HUGE Miyazaki fan! Some his movies pushed me to where I am today.) I took out the amazing book The Art Of Porco Rosso and drooled over Miyazaki’s concept sketches:
So, I naturally wanted to create something similar, but with my own twist. I always loved grayscale or with very little colors drawings. Because, to me, they have more drama and character. Above all, Miyazaki does it better than anyone!
I have also, looked at other older pieces such as this one:
When I watched Band of Brothers or played my many hours on Company of Heroes, I’ve always loved the paratroopers! First, in WW2, I think they were so brave to do any Mission. Knowing how crazy, dangerous and deadly the outcome can be (especially through a rain of FLAK). I salute that! Second, on a military point of view, paratroopers are an extraordinary asset to any army. They can be dropped deep inside enemy lines, which give them the edge to create fear and surprise against the enemy.
This scene always makes my hair stand! ALWAYS!
The two famous divisions, that I really love, are the 101st and the 82nd. For this piece, I decided to go with 82nd Airborne Division.
Afterward, I started flushing out some ideas by sketching on my iPad Pro ( I always sketch on ProCreate, the best app there is for any artist!) and came out with this:
As this is a digital version, I re-inked it by hand: to add texture and add a little color.
Finally, I added the shape I wanted around the portrait, with dates, the 82n Airborne Division logo and applied it on a vintage texture.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.